NORTH TEXAS FOR-CAUSE ORGANIZATION TO PHASE REOPENING
My Possibilities welcomes 25 percent of students back to campus
May 28, 2020 – PLANO, TX – North Texas for-cause organization will slowly reopen June 1. My Possibilities, MP, the leader in vocational education for adults with intellectual disabilities is ready to open doors and welcome back its students known as Hugely Important People, or HIPsters.
MP temporarily closed its doors Tuesday, March 17 in response to COVID-19 and recommendations from the Texas Department of Health and Human Services. The organization is ready to see the Campus for Higher Learning come back to life in a measured, safe and informed manner that continues to protect the health and safety of HIPsters and staff.
Throughout the temporary closure, MP’s staff has planned to reopen. All families have been surveyed to assess their HIPster’s needs, questions and concerns, and their desired timeline to return to campus. Additionally, the organization created a health and safety plan to guide the reopening. The plan adheres to state guidelines as well as CDC recommendations for social distancing, cleaning and protective equipment protocol. Reopening for MP will occur in a phased approach, with Phase I involving 25 percent of enrolled HIPsters.
“This crisis hit us all, hard,” said Michael Thomas, executive director for My Possibilities. “While MP continues to weather the storm, the impacts of our closure will be felt for the remainder of 2020 and likely beyond. We continue to face a financial shortfall of $1 million due to our inability to run traditional programming and receive State funding.”
Read the full Health and Safety plan for My Possibilities on the MP website. Notable highlights include:
Individuals Encouraged Not to Return During Phase I
- HIPsters 55 and older, and staff 65 and older
- Anyone with underlying health conditions or compromised immune systems
- Anyone who may live with family members or caregivers considered high risk
HIPster Drop-Off & Pick-Up
- HIPsters will be dropped off at the main MP entrance and picked up at the HIPster entrance.
- At the time of drop off, temperature will be taken and recorded with touch free thermometers while HIPster remains in their vehicle, and hand sanitizer distributed.
- HIPsters displaying a temperature of 100 degrees or more will be sent back home.
Program Set-Up & Protocol
- Rooms will undergo thorough cleaning before programming begins, and cleaning rotations will take place throughout the day.
- Classroom, gym, and therapy rooms will all maintain social distancing guidelines. No room on Campus will exceed 10 people.
- Large groups will not be permitted in the café, rather lunch and transition will take place within the classrooms.
- No community-based instruction will take place, nor will shuttle services run until further notice.
Handwashing, sanitizing and other safety measures
- Handwashing will take place periodically throughout the day and hand sanitizer will be available in all areas for usage as needed.
- Social stories will be available for instructors and therapists to use to guide, explain and instruct HIPsters.
- Staff will wear masks as long as activity can withstand it, and HIPsters are highly encouraged to bring and wear masks if they are able.
Administrative Staff and Building Safety
- Administrative staff will rotate and be assigned certain days they are permitted on campus and will wear masks while in the building.
- Volunteers, days of inclusion (DOIs), and any other groups will not be permitted on campus.
- No monthly family tours until further notice.
- No visitors or volunteers are permitted into the building until further notice.
MP Procedure if Someone Tests Positive for COVID-19
- MP will report case(s) to the local health department for guidance. They will support MP in identifying its source and contamination patterns.
- All staff and HIPsters that were exposed will be informed, while keeping in compliance with HIPAA.
- Individual that tests positive should follow all guidelines and recommendations from the CDC and seek medical care.
- All staff and HIPsters exposed to individual/s that have tested positive will follow CDC guidelines for self-quarantine.
- Additional deep cleaning and sanitizing of campus will take place immediately
About My Possibilities:
My Possibilities is a North Texas for-cause 501(c)(3) organization that serves as a pioneering leader in vocational education for adults with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities throughout North Texas. To learn more, visit mypossibilities.org.